Sunday, June 21, 2015

Running Around the World

Though the sun is growing stronger, the days as long as they can ber, our time in Cagliari quickly faded to a few weeks of intensive traveling. It was nostalgic parting with my friends, old and new, on the beautiful, summer camp for almost grownups on the Italian island of Sardinia. Before I go into my latest adventure I want to give a huge thank you to our fearless program leader, Professor Annalisa Onnis-Hayden, expert counselor TA Anna Murphy, and all the wonderful friends that filled my days with laughter and sunshine. The one word I could use to summarize it all, in Danielle's wonderstruck voice, "Amazing!"

Since May 14th, I have been in 4 going on 5 countries and an average daily walking distance of 10 miles/day.

  • May 14 - June 16 Cagliari, Italy
  • June 16 - June 18 Brussels, Belgium
  • June 18 - June 20 Paris, France
  • June 20 - June 22 Munich, Germany
  • June 22 - June 24 Lucerne, Switzerland

Final hours in Cagliari
Beginning with out last fully day/night/morning, we had a farewell dinner, which featured a performance from an interesting, giggly, old man. This was my favorite meal in Sardinia, definitely saving the best for last. I have attached a photo of the main course of fish with the head on it, eel, squid, snails, and other assorted seafood dishes. I can proudly say I tried every single thing brought to us.



Audriana and Danielle

We rounding out the night with the traditional European hanging out on the steps of a church. That morning was another sunrise morning, unfortunately my camera died but there are a few pictures. The rest of the morning was a bucket list morning where we ran to the top of the Elephant Tower, one of the largest towers in Cagliari; one last jump in the Mediterranean Sea; and the final trip to our favorite Peter Pan Gelateria.

Audriana, my best
Final Farewell
Brussels, Belgium
The evening of June 16th we took a flight to our first city, Brussels, Belgium. In the morning, we met with a friend and got a full tour of the city. I went in with no expectations but had a wonderful time. There was so much history to also have so much great chocolate, waffles, and beer.


Manneken Pis

Paris, France
First thing in the morning on June 18th we headed to Paris, where I fell in love with the city. I studied French in high school, though I wasn't the best at it, I have always been dreaming to travel there. Major perk of Paris: EU citizens under 26 get into museums for a discount/free. I made a promise to myself that I will return as much as I can before I am too old. Some highlights (basically everything): Louvre, Arc de Triomphe, a quick shop on the Champs-Elysees, Notre Dame, Sainte Chapelle, 6 lunch of two crepes and a drink, the Eiffel Tour, escargo, bike cab.
Louvre
Arc de Triomphe
Munich, Germany Another early morning on June 20th we headed to Munich, Germany. The first thing I noticed was there was a major train station Ostbahnof. That is the closest word I have ever seen to Osbahr, which I was so excited to see! In Munich we visited the BMW Welt, Olympic park, beer gardens, and a bike tour that covered all major sites. One of the coolest was the standing wave in the English Park. In honor of Fathers' Day I dreamed of surfing over a beer.... Prost to you, Dad!

My travel companions
Hofbräuhaus München
Standing Wave Munich
Munich Bike Tour!
Lucerne, Switzerland
Currently I am on a bus to Lucerne, Switzerland. I keep pausing this blog to look at the beautiful countryside. I was lucky enough to get my own seat, a brief taste of the solitude that has been missing from my life lately. We are hoping to go on a big hike tomorrow, however the weather may not be in our favor. Some interesting things about the bus: the woman in front of me just leaned her chair back and it actually closed my computer, quite impressive; there are two stories with a row of three or four seats in the front window on the second floor; they sell beer.



I am not sure of the next chance I will get to post but I will do my best. Before my next set of studies begin in the Netherlands, I still will be stopping in Geneva and back to Paris to see a few friends. If you are still reading, thank you and hopefully you will hear from me soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment